Saturday, March 02, 2013

Today marks 6 months since my last goodbye to my mother. I have been dreading this milestone for weeks.

Fortunately, I read something this morning that completely changed my outlook for the day.

One of my favorite sites is Humans of New York. While catching up on some of the photographer's latest stories and images, I came across a photo of an elderly woman whose words gave me a much needed reminder:


When my husband was dying, I said: 'Moe, how am I supposed to live without you?' He told me: 'Take the love you have for me and spread it around.'"


I have six months of experience that proves that caring for and serving others is the only way to continue living after you feel your life has been taken away. Whenever I feel that existing another 10 minutes without my best friend is too much to bear, I force myself to stop wallowing in my misery and go help someone.

My mother showed me how to love and serve unconditionally. Sharing this gift makes me feel closer to her than anything else--close enough to feel strengthened to continue the journey of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment