Sunday, February 27, 2011

Acceptance

My first order of business after learning that I was admitted to BYU:
Tell my parents

My second order of business:
Begin a list of kitchen supplies I want for my college kitchen




While I was recovering from my wisdom tooth removal this summer, I watched Julie and Julia every single day. And then I would cry at night (medicine makes me emotional, which is my worst nightmare) because I couldn't eat real food.

Anyways, there was a quote that I would play over and over again because it really resonated with me:

"You know what I love about cooking? I love that after a day when nothing is sure and when I say nothing, I mean nothing, you can come home and absolutely know that if you add egg yolks to chocolate and sugar and milk, it will get thick. That's such a comfort."



That will be my luxury while I'm away at school. I'm a firm believer that everyone needs a luxury to make them thrive and relax and feel like life's worth living, even when everything else says it's not. Cooking will keep me sane and happy at college and maybe it will even help me gain those 15 pounds I've been promised by myths all my life.


I'm beginning to realize that I'll need to have a job in order to sustain this luxury (All-Clad pans and almond extract don't come cheap), but sanity is worth its weight in minimum wage and tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment